Question
Posted by: lal | 2004/03/12

Hipnotisering

Ek stel baie belang om meer te leer oor hipnose. Waar kan ek begin soek na boeke oor dit of is daar sekere kursusse wat ek kan volg om meer te leer van dit? Ek sal ook graag wil weet of dit sal moontlik wees om myself te laat hipnotiseer om bv in 'n goeie gewoonte te kom soos bv. elke oggend wanneer ek wakkre word lus te wees vir gym/oefen -> net vir so 2 weke of so om in roetine te kom. Ek is ook een van daardie mense wat eet wanneer goed my pla / ek "depressed" is. Kan mens dit onder hipnose regmaak / net omsit dat ek nie eet wanneer ek so voel nie?

Dear lal,
Regular readers know that, although I have used, and continue to use, hypnosis selectively as PART of a program for helping some people, I am profoundly sceptical about the many self-proclaimed "hypnotherapists" who have sprung up like weeds all over SA, and with good reason. There are no properly recognized qualifications for hypnosis, and most of those pieces of paper people pay for and wave around are totally worthless --- a guy in the USA even managed to get his pet cat certified as an expert hypnotherapist with a wole bunch of those organizations.
And hypnosis on its own very very rarely ever solves significant problems. What can be helpful is a degree of self-hypnosis, easy cheap and quick to learn from a shrink who is not motivated to make you dependent on himself ( for greater profit ) but keen to help you achieve greater independence. This is simply a form of close concentration combined with relaxation and concentrating on a positive message you remind yourself of. But again, it works better as part of a plan made with you and a shrink, after a proper assessment of what ( if anything ) is wrong, and thus what may need to be done about it.
Hypnosis from a "hypnotherapist" does NOT help depression, and can have significant risks.

3
Posted by: Bekkie | 2006/03/20

I would like to find out more about hipnoses on a psyciatric level dealing with deep rooted emotional problems.

Bekkie

Reply to Bekkie
Posted by: Intelectual | 2005/02/26

U sound too dumb to have completed psychology 3

Reply to Intelectual
Posted by: lal | 2004/03/12

i do not want to try it on people - I am really interested to know the effects etc. I studied Industrial Psychology till my 3rd year at University and I loved it - so it is not to use on other people - I am thionking to do my Psychology degree. I already have Psychology 3

Reply to lal