Posted by: sam | 2008/09/04

hip replacement operation

im 34 , had a motorbike accident , need a hip replacement on left side, my dr advises me that with the new technology available in RSA that i wud most likely if nothing goes haywire again not need another one. he is replacing the ball and cup with a Steel ball and it doesnt get semented in but allows bone marrow to grow into and through,which means that its better for me,my Q whats the pros and cons of this ,my current pain is to much to mention,and what wud my mobility be after the op??? he has given me my answers but id like a 2nd opinion if possible

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sam
Your doctor is quite right about this and a hip replacement operation is a great operation to improve your quality of life- especially with your pain levels at the moment. Even if you do need another replacement in 20 years time, I think it is still worth the trouble, and as he said, the new technology is great!
If you still don't feel comfortable about this, feel free to go for a second opinion.

Posted by: sam | 2008/09/08

thanx my dr has taken my x rays to a "  councill"  that there is ten members(orthopeadics) on and i got ten opinions and all were in favour of the operation thanx a million.

Reply to sam