Question
Posted by: Kruppel | 2006/07/24

hip pain - bone or muscle?

I've been suffering from pain in my left hip joint when I walk or when I sleep on that side. My physio said it could be from my bum muscles (sitting too long in front of computer and in car) and she really tortured them and gave me a stretch to do. This improved the pain when walking, but I'm still sleeping badly because it's my preferred sleeping position on that side and it aches like mad.

I'm actually too afraid to see a doctor about it, I keep hoping it's nothing. Is there any way of telling whether it's bone or muscle-related? Ibuprofen relieves the pain. I'm 44, female, overweight.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Kruppel
I suggest you go to your doctor who can send you for some x-rays to determine whether you have osteo-arthritis in that hip joint. This is the normal degenerative (wear and tear) changes that occur as we age. The hip is a ball and socket joint and as we age the socket becomes worn out. Factors like old sports injuries as well as being overweight contribute to the socket becoming worn out quicker. Anti-inflammatory drugs like the Brufen you are using helps to relieve the pain. Also try and lose some weight and get as much exercise as possible- walking is good. Pilates exercises are also excellent to keep joints flexible and mobilised. You can ask you physiotherapist about this.