Question
Posted by: Marielise | 2007/12/16

Hip pain

I have been on my feet for most of the day for the last two weeks and in the last two days have developed a swelling in my right hip (in the are where one would receive an injection - which I have not had). there is an intense burning pain most of the time depending on whether I am sitiing, lieing or standing. Do you have any advice for me?

Hallo Marielise
If the area is just tender, hard and palpable you may have a spasm of the gluteus maximus muscle - this can be very painful and even cause nerve like pain down your leg as the big nerve to your leg go through the muscle - a physiotherapist is your best bet.
If the area is swollen, red and warm, you may be developing an abcess and you need to see your doctor for antibiotics to prevent this as soon as possible.