Question
Posted by: MINETTE | 2004/10/23

HIP PAIN

I am a 43 yr old woman who had Perthes disease as a child. I started experiencing lower back pain about a month ago, which moved to my hip (groin and mid thigh in front) after about a week. X rays revealed slight abnormalities of the spijne as wekk as avascular necrosis of the hip, with narrrowed joint space. According to my doctor the pain is caused by osteo-arthirtis of the hip, due to the sequela of Perthes disease. I will need a hip replacment which he wants to delay as long as possible. In the mean time he has placed me on NSAIM (loxiflam 7.5 mg twice a day) plus Synarp Forte for pain relief. I have been using this for about 10 days now. My problem is that I am till experiencing pain on walking to the extent that i am unable to carry on normal daily activies such as shopping for milk and bread! I find it hard to accept that osteo-arthritis could have such a sudden debilitating effect that i could move from a normal painfree existernce to being a semi-invalid within a month. Should I be looking for other sources of the pain? Resting only helps while I am resting - i spent three days moving as little as possible, but the moment i treid to resume normal activities the pain returned. Am I in too much of a hurry?.
I just want a normal life back!!!!

Minette, it won’t do harm to look for a cause elsewhere i.e. the lower back and the groin. You can also get a second opinion from a good orthopaedic surgeon because the NSAID’s should have made a difference by now. Good luck.