Question
Posted by: Renier | 2012/04/05

Hip Dysplasia

Hi, I have two Rottweiler aged about 7 years old(sisters), we noticed them being stiff after we take them for a walk, we took them to the vet who informed us that she thinks it might be hip dysplasia, and this is quite common in Rottweiler''s, they sugested a Femoral Head Ostectomy be done, now my question is, what is the success rate for this procedure and is it worth it for the dog at this age? from what I can find the rehabilitation can be long term and I do not know if there is medicine available that can help avoid such a operation.

Dear Renier.

The success of a Femoral Head Ostecotomy is dependent on the the surgeons surgical ability and the animals ability to recovery from surgery. At 7 years old it is not to late to consider the procedure as long as your dogs are in good health and not overweight. Some owners prefer not to go thought with the procedure and rather opt of a change in diet (motility diet), NSAID,s (carprofen, meloxicam e.t.c), acupuncture e.t.c.

Before you consider the procedure you need to ensure that your dogs have hip dysphasia. I would suggest that you have X-rays taken of the hips and back to ensure that this is indeed the problem.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

3
Posted by: Nadia | 2012/05/23

My Basset Hound (now 3 years old) has the same problem, noticed it about 2 years ago, couldnt get up, she dragged her bum - couldnt walk proberly, went to the vet, took x-rays and saw it was VERY bad. Dr said that that the operation won''t help as both hips are damaged. My boss then told me about accupuncture - I tried it, since then you wouldnt even say that my baby has hip dysplasia. I also give her mobiflex each morning.

Reply to Nadia
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/04/24

Dear Renier.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Fergus | 2012/04/06

Good grief, this sounds ridiculous. Maybe you have not given the whole story but surely a vet who only THINKS it might be hip dysplasia isn''t going to move straight from such an assumption to surgery? There is a whole lot that has to happen before you even consider this, ranging from x-rays, to pain management, food supplements (glucosamine/chondroitin), possible weight control, to name but a few. You say you notice stiffness - hell, *I* am stiff after exercise, and I am not about to let someone lop off the ends of my bones!

Go and see either a vet who has a slightly more pragmatic and thorough approach, or a specialist veterinary surgeon, and get the information and diagnosis you need in order to make this kind of decision.

Reply to Fergus