Question
Posted by: terry | 2004/01/15

highly irregular periods - mostly no periods

hi,

I am 25 and i have not menstruated for 6 months now. since my first period i have never had a regular cycle. at some point i did not menstruate for 12 months - not even a drop. i went to the clinic and they injected me with depo provera which got me menstruating every day for 3 months non stop. then they switched me to the pill which stopped the menstruation all to gether. i have been off all contraceptives for a year now. i also have a VERY BAD case of ACNE which they say is hormonal. at this point i would be very happy to get a period regularly everymonth and a solution to my acne.

please help!
terry

I would suggest that you consult gynaecologist. It sounds like you are probably not ovulating. One of the reasons for this is PCOS (you can read more about this in the archives if you wish). You need to have a proper diagnosis made and then have the appropraite treatment.

1
Posted by: Hairy | 2004/01/16

Hi Terry, it feels like I am reading my own story in your experience. I am 26 and they have finally diagnosed me with PCOS. I never had regular menses until I went on the pill, but now we are trying to conceive, and my cycle is in total shambles. My face and back looks like a teenager with a real problem skin (something I never had a problem with whilst on the pill), and I look like a small hairy mammal with all the abnormal hairgrowth. The gynae prescribed Duphaston 10 mg per day for 10 days each month, so at least I have a period again, and it seems like I have finally ovulated this month as well.

I suggest you go to your gynae, and ask her to do some blood test and a sonar to see what your ovaries looks like. There are also a lot of info available on the net if you search for PCOS.

Good Luck!

Reply to Hairy