Question
Posted by: Yas | 2008/01/28

High Urea levels, High WBC, dehydration

Recently woke up with puffiness around eyes and face. Thought allergic reaction but when to dr. Did blood test. Results in high Urea, High White Blood Cell count and also showed dehydration. The first question the dr asked was if I was drinking enough water and I have been drinking more than 2l per day excluding tea, coffee and sometimes cooldrinks. Dr requested eat less protein and carry out another Urea blood which the results came back with even high urea levels. Did urine test-results blood in urine went for ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis. All clear. The dr wanted radiologist to do doppler test but they did not.

Anyway, the dr suggested we do another Urea blood test and FBC to see what the results are like.

I don't know what to do cause i still get puffiness to the face and am extremely tired. My muscles ache, concentration not to good and getting pains on both my sides and on the right near kidney. we also checked for kidney stones which I had 4 years ago but everything clear.

My GP suggested a blockage somewhere and also nephritic syndrome but has ruled it out cause there was not blockage found in ultrasound and my kidneys were fine.

Pse suggest something for me. I am extremely uncomfortable all the time and also I am not urinating as often as I should be considering the amount of liquid I am taking in.
Can you tell me what else we should do and what to check for

Dear Yas
It sounds to me as if you have a bit of kidney function failure at the moment. Your doctor can prescribe Lasix to help the kidneys get rid of more fluid. Further tests are necessary – maybe referral to a nephrologist and a kidney biopsy to see if there is disease in the kidney tissue. See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kidney-failure/DS00280/DSECTION=2

1
Posted by: Yas | 2008/01/30

I have read the Mayoclinic website with regards to acute kidney failure, my dr has done more blood tests and still has not referred me. I am experiencing terrible discomfort in my chest. The chest pains seem to come suddenly and then they stay for a while giving this dull feeling. I am still not urinating often but sometimes at night I sit in the toilet for much longer draining the fluids out. Do you think it is still necessary to see a nephrologist?

Also yesterday I went to pathologist for more tests and the nurse put the vaccum in and tubes and no blood came out. She tried again in same vein still nothing, then she moved it about and it hurt like hell, then the blood started to flow slowly. Does this mean anything. Should I been very concerned and ask the Dr to refer me or should I then go myself to a nephrologist without a referral.

I am so stressed out and by the end of the day I am exhausted. cannot drive home from work which is 56km I start getting very sleepy. Also I am getting a tingling sensation under my feet and legs. don't know if this is related.

HELP ME- PLEASE ADVISE

Reply to Yas