Question
Posted by: Scared | 2004/01/27

High protien injection diets<br>

Hi Doc,
I've stanted this high protien injection diet about 3 weeks ago. Only meats, salads and veggies. Is this a healthy diet and will I gain extra weight when I start eating normal again? I've lost 5kg and 32cm in less than 3 weeks.

Thank you!

Dear Scared
The reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. So, if it works for you and you don't use it for longer than the prescribed period (2 weeks at a time, if I remember Dr Atkin's instructions correctly), then that is fine. but please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets.

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/06

Dear Scared

If you read the material on the Low Carb Lifestyle carefully, you'll realise that you should never want to eat "normally" again in your life. That is, if you define normal as stuffing yourself with junk carbohydrates.

Induction, on Atkins is for at least 14 days. It can extend indefinitely with no harmful effects at all, until you get close to your target weight. Usually, you go to OWL (ongoing weight loss) then pre-maintenance and lifetime maintenance.

There is a huge amount of misunderstanding of Atkins. You are not on a NO carb plan, you are on a LOW carb plan.

Sure, you go into Ketosis, but only just. Lipolysis (fat burning) is as natural as Glucosis (burning glucose). In fact, your brain works better when burning ketone bodies than when it is burning glucose. Many people go into a flat spin when you mention high protein. They seem to mistake ketosis for ketoacidosis, which is something that only Type 1 diabetics get.

Doing Atkins will NOT harm your kidneys if you have normal kidney function.

In the long term, you get to eat more or less equal (in kilojoules) amounts of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. What you do dump, and they stay dumped for life, are the dense carbohydrates. You still eat vegetables and fruit. Fruit and veg are carbs!

It's incorrect to say that eating animal fats will cause elevated cholesterol. One's blood lipid profile goes haywire when one is eating the incorrect type of carbohydrates. Doing Atkins is the most effective and safest way of improving your blood lipid profile. The research proves it.

Do low-fat/high carb diets sustain weight loss in the long term? No way. Ask ANY obese person. They simply do not address the problem (hyperinsulinism) and they feed the fat person's carbohydrate addiction, so they are doomed to failure.

It's time for every nutrition professional to re-read the material, look at the latest research, and re-evaluate their prejudice towards the Low Carb way of life.

As for you, Scared, I encourage you to do your own research, and decide what is best for you. But please don't make the mistake of going back to eating junk carbs once you reach your goal weight. To quote the Good Book, "the dog returns to its vomit".

And, if you're getting lots of protein injections, at least you'll have a smile on your face... <wink>

Reply to Nutrition Nut