Posted by: kathy | 2008/07/23

high protien diet for my niece

I have a niece who is 3 and 8 month old. Shes very small. Maybe because she has a small a appetite. my sister feeds her 2 eggs that are sof boiled everyday. she also feed her ensure milk with fiber. her milk dosage is 12 scoops per 8 oz of water, three times a day. my sister thinks its better for her to drink milk and eat eggs than real food because shes thin and she thinks the milk and eggs can compensate for that. still, my niece sometimes vomits the milk and so end up with nothing in her stomach at all. please advice if we are doing the right thing regarding my niece diet. and also is ensure with fiber safe for her? is 2 eggs every day ( egg yolks included) safe for her at her young age? thanks very much.

Dear Kathy
The diet you describe that your niece of 3 years and 8 months is receiving, is totally wrong for a toddler and will lead to all kinds of deficiencies. It is vital that you have the lassie assessed by a Paediatrician and a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The Paediatrician will have to determine if a) she has any physical problems that prevent her from eating, and b) if she is deficient in any nutrients. The dietitian will have to assist you in developing a normal balanced diet for the child, who at this stage of her life should already be eating all kinds of foods from all the food groups. This is very important as the child may continue not to thrive if she is not given the correct diet.
Holding thumbs for all of you.

Will you be able to live on 2 eggs and ensure a day. The child is small because she is not geeting the correct food.