Question
Posted by: Lynette | 2006/04/05

High Protein, low carb diet-losing plenty hair and have fatigue

Please help, I have lost huge amounts of hair but must add that I have followed a High protein, low carb diet for the past 5 months. The weight loss of 18Kg is wonderful but the hair loss is a major problem. Can it be related to any organ that may be affected by the diet, i.e Kidneys

Dear Lynette
I am opposed to the use of any diet that cuts out whole food groups, esp one that has a high protein and fat content and omits carbs, even if you can achieve good weight loss. Loss of hair is usually linked to an iron deficiency, which is probably not applicable in your case as you have been living on meat, eggs and fish which are the best sources of readily available iron in the diet. You may well have developed other deficiencies (vit C, some of the B vitamins such as folic acid or calcium if you have not been using milk and dairy products) or the hair loss could be due to stress. Please consult a Dermatologist about your hair loss as he/she will be able to determine what factor is causing it. Your fatigue is due to a lack of carbs, which are our best source of energy for the body. Please consider going back to eating a normal, balanced diet which contains all the food groups including carbs. If you still need to lose weight then try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet).