Posted by: Lucky | 2008/07/11

high protein diet and constipation

I have been following a high protein diet, so far i have lost 9kgs and happy with my success. i drink about 2.5ltrs a day of water but i keep sufering from constipation. i have endometriosis so the high protein diet works well for me becuase i dont have to stress about food with sugar, wheat etc. What can i do to solve my problem.

Dear Lucky
Constipation is unfortunately one of the major side-effects of eating a high-protein diet that is practically devoid of dietary fibre (the latter is found in unprocessed grains and cereals, fruits, vegetables and legumes). You could use 1-3 tablespoons of wheat bran in the morning or ask your chemist about Fybogel, which is not a harsh laxative.

Posted by: Lucky | 2008/07/14

Thank you for the feeback, i will definately try fybogel. the problem is people with endometriosis need to avoid food with wheat, sugar, caffeine and alcohol. Hence it was easier for me to follow the high-protein diet. Since i have been on the diet i dont suffer from a bloated tummy or pains during menstruation. i tried aloe granules this weekend and they worked wonders. they cost about R6 from a pharmacy.

Reply to Lucky