Question
Posted by: riek | 2004/11/01

high protein diet

I want to go on the high protein diet, I need to know what do I eat onthe induction in the mornings and what can I have for lunch and for supper. Please tell me what foods has the highest pr9otein content, I want to loose 10-15 kg

Dear Riek
I am sure that the other Readers will oblige. Please keep in mind that the reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. So, if it works for you and you don't use it for longer than about 2 weeks at a time, then that is fine. but please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets. You should still be getting at least 1-2 portions of carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI) at each meal to supply you with fibre and readily available energy.
Take care

5
Posted by: Jack | 2004/11/04

The average dietician has a very allopathic approach to nutrition. By that I mean that they think that there is only one correct approach, and then try to apply that to everyone.

Of course, different people have different metabolisms.

A number of very learned and experienced nutritional experts now recommend that you start by identifying your metabolic type. You might be a protein type, a carbohydrate type, or a mixed type.

A high-protein, high-fat diet will make you feel sick if you are a carbohydrate type, and conversely, a low-fat, high-carb diet will make you gain body fat at a prodigeous rate if you are a protein type.

I would also like to point out that there is not a single research paper that supports the idea that you can damage your kidneys by eating a high-protein diet, unless you have impaired kidney function in the first place. The notion that eating red meat causes loss of calcium from the bones is also nonsense. In fact, the leading cause of osteoporosis is too little protein in the diet.

Have a look at Mercola.com for a start, and start taking a sceptical attitude to the "one size fits all" diets that the medical profession are offering.

Reply to Jack
Posted by: Zel | 2004/11/01

I tried the high prot. diet for 6 weeks, and I didn't cheat. The result... I felt sick, but I lost 4.6Kg. It is not worth it, I promise you. It doesn't help to follow a diet that doesn't work in the long run. You need to follow a healthy eating plan, and not a diet. If you want to see results and maintain your weigh-loss, then I would say try weigh-less. I went on weigh-less more than a year ago and I am still at my target weight.
The support is great, you always have enough food to eat, you see results every week and you can maintain this healthy eating plan.
Go visit the site and have a look. When you tried the high prot. diet, you'll just start another diet. Cause diets don't work.

Reply to Zel
Posted by: science | 2004/11/01

try and cut out as much red meat and saturated fats as possible! it causes damage to your pancreas which means you'll have trouble controlling your bloodsugar levels for the rest of your life. studies which prove that low carb diets are less succesful than low fat diets on maintaining weight loss the long term, have also just been published. there is no quick solution to permanently losing weight. reducing portion sizes and eating sensible (low fat and low gi carbs) is the only way to successfully lose weight and maintain it on the long run. one really does need a change in mindset and lifestyle. diffucult, but can be done.

Reply to science
Posted by: RIEK | 2004/11/01

hI Strawberry

I want to try and lose say 5-10 kilos in my induction weeks (2) I wonder if it is possibble has anyone else done it.

Reply to RIEK
Posted by: strawberry | 2004/11/01

I am also on high protein diet, have been on it for a week and lost 2 kilos, although i cheated onces and ate mc Donalds. I go for high protein foods like eggs, omelletes, biltong and droewors for snacks and then veggies like broccoli. Ia lso eat a cup of strawberries, then obviously all meat, white and red, but dont overdo it. When i really crave for carbs I eat 100g popcorn it has 20g of carbs and just try to minimise the rest of my carb intake for that day. In how long period do you want to lose the weight?

Reply to strawberry