Question
Posted by: Woman | 2004/10/20

High Protein asap

I am on a high protein diet, dont take in too much fat, I just want to know, sometimes I just crave popcorn, 100g, lite Keep in shape popcorn, I see its got 20 grams of carbs, and i eat this in the afternoon.If I go to gym that evening and do a hour of cardio will i burn that carbs? My total intake of carbs for that day is 30 grams then. Desperately trying to lose about 10 kilos, do you think it will affect my weight loss if i eat 1 packet of popcorn say twice a week, still being on high protein diet?
Please reply asap.

Dear Woman
You must understand that I am NOT in favour of these high-protein diets because they are totally unbalanced and cause cravings for carbs the way you describe. Carbs are our best source of energy, so I am of the opinion that you should have plenty of low-fat, high-fibre carbs, not just the little portion of popcorn. Carbs have a low energy content (4 kcal/g) compared to fat (9 kcal/g) and if you eat carbs with a high fibre content and a low glycaemic index then they will not make you gain weight but allow you to eat a more balanced diet.
Take great care with this high-protein diet which will inevitably contain excess saturated fat and cholesterol.