Question
Posted by: high metabolism | 2007/12/13

high metabolism

How does one know if a person has a high metabolism?
Is there a test one can do or how is it measured?
And are there some common physical symptoms?

There is a test, but it's pretty specialised. In fact, so specialised I don't know if it's even done - just not worth doing, to be honest. You know you have a high resting metabolic rate because you tend to have a lower than normal body weight given your food intake and daily activity.

The tricky thing about metabolism is that it's influenced so much by exercise and daily activities, that measuring it in isolation doesn't work. So there's obviously some reason why you are concerned about it, since you want to have it tested. There is a chance, I suppose (I'm guessing, since I know nothing of the context) that you could have thyroid activity measured and that would explain the reasons for the high metabolic rate (if you have it). That could be done by any doctor who would refer you for the test.

So that might be what you do, but again, it's not a case of simply going to have the test and finding your answer - we don't, for example, even know what "high" means. It's not like with diabetes, where there is a distinct test - this is a subjective measure at the best of times.