Question
Posted by: Bugs | 2007/06/04

High levels of hemoglobin

I recently discovered that my hemoglobin levels are quite high, around 15.9. Do you think this is a cause for concern? I have started donating blood to try to reduce the levels. What else could I do to bring the levels down? Could the high levels be an indication of an underlying diesease that I am not aware of?

dear Bugs
High HB levels can be an indication of low oxygen in the blood ( like in smokers or people with lung problems)and in people living at high altitudes. Dehydration produces a falsely high hemoglobin which disappears when proper fluid balance is restored. Some other infrequent causes are lung disease, certain tumors and a disorder of the bone marrow known as polycythemia rubra vera. Your GP will be able to pick this up with a good medical exam and blood tests - and then it is very high - yours is only slightly elevated.

Normal values for hemoglobin levels are:
Women: 12.1 to 15.1 g/dl
Men: 13.8 to 17.2 g/dl