Question
Posted by: HighHR | 2004/10/20

High HeartRate

Hi, I am a 35 year old male, so my max HR is 220-35=185 and my resting HR is 50. When I do a MTB race (Mountain biking) my HR average in the 180's and some times I notice that its over 185. I feel 100% after the race and never suffer from stiffness. Is it healthy for me to ride like this? 90% of my max is 166.5 and I never even train below that! Can it be that I have a higer than normal Max HR?

It's fine to ride like that. Unfortunately, people have perpetuated this idea that you have to keep the heart rate in certain ranges to exercise properly. This is sometimes the case, but it fails to acknowledge that people are different and so it's quite possible that you have a very high heart rate. I can't discount that there is a problem, and sometimes the heart rate being so high indicates that there is some underlying problem, but I think that if you have been exercising hard and feeling fine, then it's not something too serious. Keep an eye on it, but don't panic about guidelines and general equations - everyone is unique and so look at your heart rate in context of your training, not everyone elses.