Question
Posted by: Dave B | 2003/02/28

High GGT

I have had a medical and have high Gama Glutanyl Transpeptidas about 120 - apparently double what it should be - I believe this affects the liver. What does this mean and what should I do? PS I drink moderately and am not alchoholic.

Gamma Glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT): Also known as gamma-glutamyltransferase, GGT (present in the liver, pancreas, and kidney) transfers the gamma-glutamyl group from one peptide to another or to an L-amino acid. GGT levels are elevated in diseases of the liver, biliary tract, and pancreas when the common duct is obstructed. GGT levels parallel those of alkaline phosphatase and 5´-nucleotidase in cholestatic conditions. The extreme sensitivity of GGT (greater than that of alkaline phosphatase) limits its usefulness, but it helps detect hepatobiliary disease as the cause of an isolated rise in alkaline phosphatase. GGT is normal in pregnancy and bone disease. Because it is not physiologically elevated in pregnancy or childhood, GGT may distinguish hepatobiliary disease in such cases. Drug use and alcohol ingestion, which induce microsomal enzymes, also elevate GGT. As a marker for alcoholic liver disease, GGT is poor when used alone but more secure when combined with transaminases.

1
Posted by: DaveB | 2003/03/02

I have used myprodol extensively for a period of 2 weeks about a week prior to the test when I had impacted wisdom teeth out which became infected. Could this have caused the high GGT reading?

DaveB

Reply to DaveB