Question
Posted by: Mrs JM | 2005/11/26

High FSH levels

Hi Doc,

I am struggling to fall pregnant for more than 6 years now. I am almost 38 yrs old.

I had 1x I VF and 2 x ICSI treatments, all which were unsuccesful.

I have changed my gynae qnd was sent for day 3 tests which were as follows:
LH: 5.5
FSH: 12.8
Estradiol: 240

I was told that my FSH is high and that it would interfere with ovulation and can possibly lead to cysts.
Is this the reason why the other procedures failed?

What is the reason for the high FSH and what will be the best treatment option

Thanks in advance

Dear Jm

Although the FSH level is slightly elevated, this is by no means above the accepted treatment level threshold, which in most centres, will be 15 or more.

It is also important to note that the FSH levels are well within the normal limits. It is my opinion that the slightly elevated FSH level, is a reflection of an increase in ovarian resistance. This may be secondary to age and also possibly to receptor related problems.

Despite this, I would still believe that it is possible for you to conceive and that the unsuccesseful treatment cycles may be partly, but not entirely, related to the problem of egg quality. Egg donation is not yet an option at this stage as I believe it is still possible to obtain reasonable oocytes and embryos with these results.

It is my suggestion that you continue in the same direction . Wishing you all the luck.

1
Posted by: Jamil | 2005/11/26

Hi doctor

I'm sufering from infertility which it's cause is azoospermia. My Laburatory test result of Semen Analysis is as under:

- Quantity.......................................................2.5ml
- Color...........................................................Greyish white
- Transparancy.............................................Opaque
- Viscosity....................................................Viscid
- PH...............................................................7.5
- Fructose.....................................................Positive
- Total Sperm count......................................0
- WBC'S........................................................01
- RBC'S.........................................................02

- Serum FSH................................................40.59mIU/ml
- Serum LH...................................................10,4mIU/ml

Could you please give me your consultation to make action accordingly. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Shams

Shams

Reply to Jamil