Question
Posted by: Diesel | 2005/12/06

High cost of HIV test

I contacted my doctor to have a HIV test done. She told me that, if it's not for a policy, this episode will cost me R260! How is this posable in this day and age. They should do it for free. I was told that it might be cheaper at a clinic, but I sometimes feel you have a better chance of getting HIV at a clinic than getting a result. Also, I have never actually seen a clinic in my area.

What are my options?
d

Dear Diesel,
There definitely are clinics where you can do it for free and at all academic hospitals you could have it done for almost nothing. When doing it at a GP you do pay for the consultation and for the private lab to do the test. If you let me know more or less in which area you are, I can try and give you an idea of where to go to.

3
Posted by: Diesel | 2005/12/07

Hi CyberDoc

Thanks for the reply. I work in Tokai (Cape) and live in Tygerberg near Tygervalley centre.

Reply to Diesel
Posted by: Bb | 2005/12/06

You never mentioned which area you are in, if in Cape Town you can to to Picbel Parkade, Strand Street where the test will cost you R25. They have branches through out SA, keep an eye out on the telly, they advertise there. Otherwise why dont you ask the HIV counsellor, Im sure he will best be able to tell you.

Reply to Bb
Posted by: anon | 2005/12/06

Hi, I am on Med aid luckily... not sure if they will cover it in the end though. I had to find out for a friend as he wanted to do the test with me and the same applied. +- R250.00 cash. And this is for the cheap test!! Aids day was on 1 December 2005... know your status blah blah blah... But how do you do this if that will cost you the weeks groceries?? (or in many cases it is the families only income for the month!) And I would seriously also avoid the public clinics and hospitals!! Not just due to the fact that most of them are "dirty" but are you really prepared to take a day off to stand in those kind of que's? I'm not sure what else could be an option. Since SA is such a high risk country, I also think these tests should be for free or at least a lot cheaper!!!

Reply to anon