Question
Posted by: Rob | 2008/01/10

High Cortisol Levels

I was a patient of an endocrinologist last year. I recall them doing a MRI and doing some tests on my ACTH levels.

I had just had ECT and can’t recall all the details of what was done and what my diagnosis was. I have done some research on the Internet and am not sure which path to follow. I am no longer on medical aid so unable to see a private doctor at the moment.

I recall them doing a 24 hour urine sample and mentioning that my pituitary gland was larger than average. Furthermore, the cortisol levels were high. I had my thyroid tested and am on .2 Eltroxin per day – the tests can back normal. I have picked up more weight since I last saw the doctor and am very lethargic. I also have developed high blood pressure and am on treatment for this.

I would like you to please give me some guidance as what to do. Is it something to worry about? Is it possible for it to be Cushing’s? Do I need to take any medication?

Hallo Rob
It is difficult for me to evaluate your problem without a physical exam and only with the info you provided. However, there are endocrinologists at all the major academic hospitals and I would suggest you ask one of the doctors in the outpatient department to make an appointment for you at the endocrinology clinic at your nearest academic hospital for the problem to be sorted out and so that you can be put on correct medication. Take all the results of the tests you have with you with to the clinic. If you don't have any, contact the doctor you saw last time and ask if you can have copies of your test results ( they should not have problems to give to you)