Question
Posted by: Honey | 2002/12/03

High Cholestorol

Dear Doc,
I just found out that for the first time in my live my Cholesterol is higher than normal.
My doctor said that I have to see a Dieticien.
I'm 55 years old, I'm a very active person, eat healthy food,
meaning lots of fruit, veggies, low fat yohourt, only 1 cup of coffee a day for the rest of the day I drink Green Tea and water. I eat fish, chicken.
Pasta, red meat 1 x week.
Seafood, pizza 1 x month
I have 1 G &T a day plus 2 glasses of red wine a day.
I really don't know how I can better my diet.
Please be so kind to advise.

Dear Honey
It may be that you have a genetic tendency to have raised cholesterol levels, but it is always a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) for the name and address of your nearest dietitian). There is a product on the market called Flora pro.activ margarine which contains plant sterols which help the body not to absorb dietary cholesterol, you should be able to buy it in most supermarkets. Some patients have achieved reductions of up to 20% in their blood cholesterol levels just by using this product. You can also try taking Salmon oil capsules which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which also lower cholesterol.

1
Posted by: Honey | 2002/12/04

Hi Doc,
Many thanks for your reply. I don't use butter or magarine at all.
I only use unsalted butter for cooking (not much).
Do you say that I have to start using Flora Magarine?
Have a great day.

Reply to Honey