Posted by: Annie | 2007/03/19

High bloodpressure

I recently took my husbands blood pressure because his father had a two major heart attack at age 39 and again at age 55. To my shock his blood pressure was 140/90 . We made an appointment with our doctor. While waiting for the doctor I asked the sister to take his blood pressure. Again the reading was 140/90. When we saw the doctor he found that the blood pressure was near normal and said that my reading and the nurses reading was incorrect. Since then I have used other blood pressure meaters and sometimes it was 160/70. I am still worried about him because he is under enormous stress (financially it is not goiing that well). He is 31 years of age. What worries me most is that his father doesn't have high blood pressure or cholestrol problems and he had all of those heart attacks. My husbands grandfather died at age 50 from a heart attack, his two uncles also have heartproblems. Should I be worried?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Annie
Yes, you should be taking preventative action, he has a strong family history of heart disease, as well as stress and a possible borderline high bloodpressure . He needs to have yearly ECG's, yearly cholesterol and uric acid and blood sugar tests and ask the doctor if he can do a 24 hour blood pressure monitoring ( it is a blood pressure meter that you put on, and walk around with, with a little machine clipped to your belt for 24 hours) This will give a clearer idea of what the BP average really is.
You can help by giving him omega 3 and 6 supplements, ensuring that he eats a low fat diet, and get some kind of exercise 3 times a week for 1/2 hour - even if its just walking ( take him to the shops with you and walk around a lot!) Also cut down on red meat and smoking - see

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: anxious | 2007/03/19

Your husband has a definite history of heart problems in the family and should be probably using a portable 24hr bp monitoring device to get a better idea of bp readings and fluctuations.
The 24hr bp monitoring devices can be arranged with your gp. Perhaps you might also consider getting another gp's opinion about your husband's bp problems.

Reply to anxious

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.