Posted by: boet | 2008/10/03

high blood suger / cholesterol diet

I have higher than normal normal blood sugar and cholesterol , although not excessively so .Amongst the usual stuff I need to avoid , my doctor also mentioned certain fruits , that appearantly contains high level of suger , such as bananas . Where can I find a full list of these fruits - I was surprised at the mention of bananas , this is something I eat regularly . There may be some other shocks for me !

Dear Boet
I have just attended the latest Nutrition Congress this week and I must disagree with your dr. If you visit a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), she/he will give you a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet to follow that will lower both your blood sugar and your cholesterol levels. Bananas are allowed in a low-GI diet. Keep on eye open for the DietDoc Topic early next week where I will be reporting on these low-GI diets. To access the Diet site, click on 'Diet at the top of this page and then on 'Weightloss' and 'The Glycaemic Index'. For additional articles, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section.