Question
Posted by: Shez | 2006/07/16

High Blood sugar

My husband has been told by his doctor that he needs to bring down his high blood sugar.
I have tried doing searches on the internet as to what type of food he should and should not be eating and what would help, but have not had much luck.

I would like to change his eating habbits to a healthier one and would like to stear away from medication.

Please help, as I have no idea what he should be eating.

Dear Shez
It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes, which can both cause high blood sugar, to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.dietetics.co.za and click on Private Practising to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take his raised blood sugar levels, insulin resistance, and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for your husband, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Balanced diet' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. He should also ask his doctor what type of exercise he is allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, or doing regular aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min or more a day because regular exercise also helps to control raised blood glucose and insulin levels.