Question
Posted by: Joe Soap | 2004/10/27

High blood sugar

Would I drop my blood sugar levels by dieting AND regular (3/week) excercise? Is this blood sugar used to 'fuel' my excercises? I need a better alternative than taking these damn pills (they make me want to trow up and very constipated!)

Hi Joe Soap

It sounds as though you are on medication for a problem that is more than just the usual high blood sugar, and if this is the case, then it is quite hard to rapidly fix the problem. I have no doubt at all that exercise will work. That's why in diabetics, regular exercise is absolutely vital to treatment. So, I really do think that in the long term, it will only benefit you. Diet is the same, and being aware of how your body reacts to certain foods is vital to your progress. THis does not mean dieting, it means eating well, and I would not go on any diet, I would consult with a dietician about this.

SO overall, I think that exercise training (that means training for a long period, giving the exercise months to take effect, although there are immediate effects) will be beneficial.

Just a word of caution, if you do have problems with your blood sugar levels, where you tend to have highs and lows, then be careful about exercise, because with no practice, you could easily slip into problems with the blood sugar.