Posted by: Valtee | 2008/12/05


Is there any over the counter preparation I can buy to control my high blood pressure and also for excess water retention. I am diabetic, but this seems to be well controlled, and I am taking only 1 Glucophage tablet a day. I used to be on 1 Glucophage twice a day, plus 1 Amaryl in the morning, and an insulin (Protophane) shot last thing at night. 18 months ago I started taking a product called Manna Plus, which has really stabilized my blood sugar. My morning readings have been around 6.2 for nearly a year now, and the specialist physcisian suggested I discontinue all sugar medication, except 1 Glucophage if my reading is above 7.5.
The problem is that 3 tunes in the last 18 months I have been admitted to hospital with pneumonia/fluid on the lungs. This has caused a very bloated stomache, and enlarged heart and cardiac failure. I had to have Lasix and I don' t know what else drip into me for a few days, and then I was put onto an oral dose of Lasix 80 gm and Aldactone 100, and Slow K. As a pensioner I am battling to make ends meet and the levy required by medical aid on these medications is more than I can afford. Also medical aid does not cover blood tests taken while I was in hospital, and I am still paying off these accounts. I was therefore wondering if there is not an over the counter alternative I can use.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagePharmacist


No, unfortunately there is nothing available OTC that is even closely as effective as your current medication. I would advise you not to change any of your medication without consulting your doctor.

I suggest speaking to your prescriber regarding your predicament - There are cheaper and more affordable generic medicines available and your doctor may help to switch you to a more affordable treatment regime.

Best of luck!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.