Question
Posted by: kimmie | 2008/06/23

High Blood Pressure & Flying

I have high blood pressure and take diovan 160 mg and a 25 mg diruretic.(The diruetic was added after my episode) I have to travel for business sometimes, what effect does flying have on my high blood pressure? My BP is fairly controlled with the medicine but recently I had an episode where my BP got high 201/104 and I felt really bad (headache, nausea, blurry vision) after I had been out of town for a week and then flew home. I had the headache and some nausea before I flew home. For normal travel should I do anything different?

Dear Kimmie
No you don't have to change anything for travelling - flying is in a compressed cabin and won't affect your blood pressure dramatically unless you feel very anxious when flying. However it is important that you don't dehydrate and take 1/2 disprin daily if you fly long distances.

1
Posted by: Bleeding | 2008/06/24

i am on bp medicine (tenblokka) and have fown to england twice, thailand 4 times and once to mauritius and several times to joburg during the past 12 months with no ill effect whatsoever.

Reply to Bleeding