Question
Posted by: itexpert | 2006/07/22

High Blood Pressure - Can Yoga help?

I am 30 and and work in IT, and married recently. I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure with an average reading of about (145 / 110). I don't want to go for an alopathy medicine, I know it has scientifically proven results; I am on homeopathy med. and do jogging and running to aid to lower my BP.

Can yoga help me restoring the balance and lower my BP?
Thanking you.

Expert ImageYoga

Hi itexpert - the short answer is yes - yoga will help greatly not only from a physical but also mental and stress reduction perspective, particularly when there is a strong focus on breath control. You should check with your doctor about your individual case, but standard medical advice for people whose blood pressure is high, is to engage in exercise and other healthy activities that a person with normal blood pressure would do, such as the running you are doing. “Yoga offers practical tools to short-circuit the stress reflex. Documented benefits include a reduction in blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol and blood sugar.” Dr Herbert Benson (Harvard Medical School) who also states that stress is the cause of 60 to 90% of doctor visits. The relaxation response also boosts the immune system so its time to start!
Chris

2
Posted by: jyotsna | 2006/08/04

hi yoga is best option for high BP . you doing BHRAMBARI PRANAYAM in morning ,5to 10 time and15 min SHAVASHANA.
You feel better after once a week .

Reply to jyotsna
Posted by: Simplyyoga | 2006/07/26

I teach corporate and private yoga in JHB I travel to your home, I mainly work around the Northern Suburbs of JHB. I have seen amazing results from students of mine with high blood pressure. Please contact me if you would like to chat and maybe join my classes.
Namaste
Tracey

Reply to Simplyyoga