Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2007/12/09

High blood pressure and alcohol

My father has high blood pressure which is medicinally controlled. He does, however, drink excessively. We have told him that this is dangerous but he thinks that because his bp is under control, the alcohol won't have an effect on it. Please can you tell me exactly how it can affect his health if he continues with this bad habit.

Hallo Charlene
More than 3 units of alcohol per day can lead to high bloodpressure, diabetes and liver disease. Small amounts of alcohol cause a drop in blood pressure, but high volumes of alcohol increase blood pressure into a dangerous range. Heavy drinking increases heart size, weakens the heart muscle, causes abnormal heart rhythms, and is a risk of blood clots forming within the chambers of the heart, and a greatly increased risk of stroke.

1
Posted by: Lawrence | 2009/05/18

I constantly trav el around the world spending a lot of time on planes and in restaurants.
I have high blood pressure, but dont get to eat the right foods.
What foods are better to eat to assist in lowering blood pressure?

Reply to Lawrence