Question
Posted by: Sunshine | 2004/01/12

Hiatus Hernia operaiton.

Cyberdoc,

Good day,

Best wishes for 2004 for you and your family. My question refers:

I had a hiatus hernia operation beginning of April 2003. I had to undergo the operation due to severe heartburn and a peptic ulcer.

The operation was done by a very well qualified specialist. The aftercare resulted in me losing a total of 12kg due to the operation.

Since beginning of December 2003, I am experiencing a slight "tingly" burning sensation at the back of my throat similiar to what I felt when I had heartburn. This however is not as uncomfortable as it was before the operation. I experience a slight discomfort when this "tingly" feeling occurs relating in me feeling bloated.

Keeping in mind that I have experienced this BEFORE the operation, I can relate to the current symptoms. What should I do? Be worried that the operation was NOT successfull and the symptoms are back? Or is this an idication of something different?

Thanking you in advance.

Greetings
Sunshine

Sunshine, it might e due to reflux, but it might also be due to something else like an infection. The best would be to see your surgeon again and to have him make sure there is no reflux. You can also first see your GP and find out whether there is an infection or something else. He can then treat you for whatever he thinks it is, but if the symptoms persist, you will have to see the surgeon. Good luck.