Question
Posted by: ~Wings~ | 2005/12/05

Hiatus Hernia - Fiancee won't stop eating!

Dear Doc
My fiancee has a hiatus hernia, and he complains of these terrible hunger pains.

My concern is that he eats all the time trying to alleviate the hunger pains, on a typical day he has cereal, then goes out for a small breakfast at 10, then eats again at 2 and then complains all the way home until I feed him at supper time.

I know this eating pattern sounds normal, (small meals through the day) but what can I give him that will sustain him, because usually on the weekends when he's at home with me, he will eat a large meal ( like supper or lunch) and complain like 10 minutes later that he's hungry.

Please advise
Many Thanks
~Wings~

Dear Wings,
My guess is that the pains are not from hunger but because the acid in his tummy is burning his lower esophagus. Try giving him something like gaviscon after meals and maybe he should consider having the hernia fixed surgically if it really bothers him. The reason he eats is because the food neutralizes the stomach acid and it isn't the volume but the presence of the food that makes the pain better. You can also try and let him use something like Ulsanic/Zantac 75 tablets to lower the acid content of the stomach. Has he had a gastroscopy to diagnose the Hiatus hernia? This could easily develop into a stomach ulcer and should be checked by a doctor.