Question
Posted by: david | 2003/01/10

hiatus hernia/ abnormal oesophageal sphincter motility

yesterday I was dignosed with a hiatus hernia and abnormal oesophogeal sphincter motility, after having barium swallow x-rays. My doctor says I must now have a scope done by a gastro physician. What are they looking for, what treatment may be needed and how serious is it? Apparantly the ring/ sphincter is just under 2 cm. Kindly advise.

David, I think they want to know whether it’s just a hiatus hernia or whether there is something else like ulcers as well. The gastroscopy will give you a definitive answer. Good luck.