Question
Posted by: MADDY | 2005/07/25

Hiatus hernia

Hi doc.
Hope you can help. I found out last week through a Berium meal that I have a hiatus hernia and a slight reflux. Is there any kind of diet that could help me with this? I believe leaving things that make acid should be left. Can you let me know exactly what those are? Hope to hear from you soon.

Dear Maddy
Acid reflux can be exacerbated by excess acid production in the stomach and if you have food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from reflux because this would mean that you practically always have some food in your stomach to prevent acid erosion. Split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. One of the most important factors in excess acid production is stress. If you suffer from reflux, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.
Hope you feel better soon