Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2005/07/06

Hiatus Hernia

About a year and a half ago I suffered from acid heartburn so bad that I had chest pains to the extent that my left arm also ached. I had problems breathing, and had lots of discomfort in my abdomen, near my stomach. After going to the doctor, he suspected a hiatus hernia and gave me the option of having a gastroscopy or having the pills used to treat the condition. He said if the pills worked, then ee'd conclude that I had a hiatus hernia. I took the pills, which seemed to solve the problem. Both my father and grandmother (on my mother's side) suffers from hiatus hernia. I changed my diet for a while, but since then I've been slacking. For the last two weeks I have had problems with abdominal pains in my stomach area. It is not really a stomach ache. Im uncomfortable when I sit or sleep in certain positions. And when I walk for too long, my stomach area hurts. Could this be my hiatus hernia acting up again?

Cindy, it sounds like it might be due to the hernia or an ulcer. The best would be to have the gastroscopy done and find out for sure. Good luck.