Question
Posted by: SC | 2003/01/13

Hiatus Hernia

I was diagnosed with a 3cm hernia and was advised to have it fixed after 4 years of trying pills.
The surgeon operated and by accident punchered my lung which fell flat and after three hours
got me alive again. After 6 six months had food poisoning and started to vomit only to find out by
another surgeon that after physically cutting me open and not laparoscopically that my stomach
was lying upside down between the heart and lungs and was corrected. question is?
1) what exercise can i do make my diagfram stronger
2) ever since my body took such a hammering i seem have slight problems with focusing on my
eyes and have a sensitive stomach will this eventually go away because i am a healthy athlete
3) could it be the uptake of vitamins and elements or is my body not quite in balance, i also seem to recover much slower after excercise.
4) I also seem to have a lot of flatuence when i stress.

Please advise

SC,
1). You can’t really make your diaphragm stronger by doing some sort of exercise. You can try to concentrate on breathing deeply, but that’s about it.
2). I can’t say for sure, but it should improve with time.
3). I don’t understand this question. Please reformulate it as a new question.
4). This may be due to the hernia, but lots of people without hernias have the same problem. Stress increases bowel movement and therefore also flatulence.
Good luck and let me know if you have more questions (please post them as new questions otherwise I will miss them).

1
Posted by: Jo | 2003/01/17

What are the symptoms or Hiatus Hernia

Six months ago I had for weeks pain underneath by breastbone (middle) and heartburn. I could not even drink water at some time and afterwards I've got that terrible burning feeling in my stomach and underneath my breastbone. I could not even eat citrus fruits. After I had eaten e.g. a organge a few minutes later I got that burning feeling again. I could only eat a little bit at a time, because my stomach was feeling very bloated and full. Sometimes I had pains in my stomach as well, but disappeared later on. My throat became sore and I had difficulty to swallow (feels like when you had a bad cold) It felt like if there were a "mucus prop" in my throat. I also became a bit hoarse like when you had laryngitis. It I went to my docter ("internis") and she gave me some tablets to drink. She said it might be a hernia, but she was not sure. She said it could be stress, but was not sure. It got better after I had the tablets and dissappeared for 4 months.

Since the end of November I expierenced heartburn again for a few days. It disappeared, but now I've got a terrible pain underneath my right rib. I experienced these pains every day since November (come and go during the days). It feels like "mildsteek" when you do to much exercise and do get tired. I am constantly aware of the pain. The pain spread now from underneath my right rib to the back of the ribs (to my spine). I really do have a lot of pain while I am awake. Sometimes I also get a sharp pain (feels like when you pull a muscle in your neck) under my left breast, just above my heart. The pain comes for a few seconds and go away. I went to my GP but he says he do not know what it is, because there are no swelling nearby my ribs. My liver does not feel swollen. He said it might be that I heard the muscles and that the muscles underneath my ribs and breast go into a spasm. He said that I rather go to a "chirurg" so that he can make a diagnose.

I did not yet go to the "chirurg". Is there a possibility that one of my ribs could be broken and push against one of my organs or muscles or could there be something else wrong.

I did not bump or hurt myself that I could remember. The only thing I can think of is that my husband and I were tickeling each other and a few days after that I felt that my ribs were a bit sensitive when I touch that area. A few days later the pains started.

I do appreciate your answer a.s.a.p.

Thanks Jo

Reply to Jo