Question
Posted by: Beth | 2008/01/16

Hiatal hernia- Pain?

Two questions please?
Can a Hiatal hernia cause pain? I had an ab. scope and X-rays which came back normal, but I have pain over my diapgragm. Not a burning pain, a pain that goes around to the back.

If I was diagnosed with Esophagitis, with throat sores and swelling, is a manometry really needed? Doesn`t the diagnosis say it all? I had two gastroscopies already and cannot tolerate the meds. because of porphyria.

Hallo Beth
Yes hiatus hernia can cause pain that goes through to the back. Manometry measures the acid in the esophagus and in your case may be needed as esophagitis long term can lead to constriction of the esophagus and even cancer. If you can't use the medication you may need surgery to correct the problem?
But I can understand your reluctance to go for manometry - it is unpleasant. One should however weigh the consequences and maybe this will be the best thing to do in the long term.
dr Bets