Posted by: Lala | 2008/09/25

Hi Lala

I don't think it's too late to start, and you're on the right track. YOu have 3 weeks to go, and obviously the main thing is to take care that you don't injure yourself by increasing too quickly now.

What you shoudl probably do is to gradually increase the running time, and reduce the walking time. So right now, you're doing 2 poles running, 2 walking. I think you should increase to 3 running, 2 walking for the next week. Then 4 and 2, 5 and 2, and so on. You'll find that if you do this, your fitness improves gradually without overdoing it.

In that race, my advice is that you adopt a preplanned walk-run routine, so that you run for example one minute, then walk one minute. Do this for the first 5km. Then, depending on how you feel, you can keep it the same, or you can try 1 minute running with 2 minutes walking. With the finish in sight, you might try to finish with more running. Point is, if you plan to walk, then you'll never be forced to walk, which is obviously what you want.

So have a plan, stick with it, and don't forget to enjoy it!

Posted by: Lala | 2008/09/25

I' m planning to do a 10 km run/walk on 18 Oct. I started training a month ago (too late I know). Because my time is limited to get 100% ready any advice would be appreciated. The cut off time is 90 min so I know I will never make it by only walking. At this stage when I train what I do is to walk the length of 2 street lamp poles and run 2. I did 4 kms in 33 minutes yesterday. I dont walk every day (4 times a week) and I started to cycle (16 kms) on Tuesday. Will the cycling help me or must I rather stick to the walking/running.

Is there any supplement (like slow mag) that I can start using now (my one leg feel like cramping sometimes). I used to drink slow mag the week before I cycled the Argus and I never got any problems with cramps.

Thanks so much for your time and advice.

Reply to Lala