Question
Posted by: Caz | 2007/05/22

HGH

HI Expert
At what age should one start considering taking HGH?
I am about to turn 30 and have noticed the grey hairs increasing.
Male.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Caz, thank you for the question, and sorry for the long delay with the answer.
There is no ‘correct’ age to start taking growth hormone. Generally our levels of growth hormone decrease from about our late twenties and definitely in our thirties. There are two types of GH namely oral (various brands) and injectable. The injectable form is considered ‘off label’ for use in individuals who do not have growth hormone deficiency from a pathological reason. However, various clinics world wide, and athletes use the injectable form, either for weight loss, muscle increase and endurance to name a few. The use of GH can effect ones thyroid function and glucose metabolism and other side effects include increase oedema (fluid) around the brain. My advice is to see your GP or an endocrinologist who can take baseline bloods and follow your progress while on GH.