Question
Posted by: Kitty | 2005/12/02

herpies-the best treatment?

My GP recently discovered i have gential warts/herpies. The first little cluster she burnt with ice. Within a month they had returned but where really small. She burnt them a second time. Just over a month later they are back. I managed to find them before they became full warts. The third time she prescribed as cream called Aldara, which has to be applied before sleep every second night and then rest for two nights. This method of treatment has to continue for 2 weeks after warts/herpies have gone. I'm wondering if it isn't better to just keep burning them. I have a high pain threashold and don't struggle much with the discomfort of the burning. I would like to know if the cream is more effective then the option of burn. (it's tricky to get the cream in exactly the right area, the warts are really small) Please help me, thank you. Kitty

Dear Kitty,
Aldara is a medication that will eventually prevent the warts from returning. One also don't want to cause too much scar tissue with all the burning. Try your GP's treatment - I think in the long term it is worth it. If you can't reach the warts, then the Aldara will not really help and then freezing them will be the only option. Discuss it with your GP and tell her if it is too difficult for you.