Question
Posted by: cancer | 2004/11/09

Herpes & pap-smear

Hi doc

I have a rash just underneath my breast & a small lump on the groin. I went immediately to the Dr who diagnosed me with Herpes. He prescribed Lovire & antibiotics.
I just had a pap-smear three weeks ago & it was normal, I haven't been with my boyfriend since then, because his out of the country & we always use condoms.
I am trying to figure out how i got this. Could it have been in my body long before that ?
Does herpes has anything to do with HIV ?
I last tested in December 2003 & i was negative ?

Herpes zoster is different to genital herpes (different virus). This is probably what your doctor meant if you had a rash under the breast. If your immune system is depressed, you are more likely to contract infections such as this, but many HIV negative people have them too.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/09

A pap smear won't pick up herpes.

I think there is a delay between infection and when you actually get the herpes blister. Herpes is a virus. I don't think that condoms will always be effective against it, as its not the semen that spreads it, but having sex with someone who has the virus at an active phase (they currently have a blister) that touches you that spreads it.

It can't be cured and w ill come and go, especially if you are run down.

It is a similar virus to the herpes virus that causes fever blisters on the lips.

You just have to treat it and not have sex when in the active phase.

It isn't related to HIV, you can get it alone, however, people with HIV/AIDS get Herpes Zoster (chicken pox like blisters) all over their bodies.
Having any STI makes it easier to get HIV as you have an open lesion on your skin for the virus to enter through.

Reply to Purple