Question
Posted by: Kermie | 2006/04/14

Hernia in groin during pregnancy

I have developed a hernia in my groin and I am 27 weeks pregnant. The doctor informed me that it was due to the fact that I am quite skinny and the weight of the baby 475 grams and gaining caused the hernia. I am very worried becuase it is really painful and getting worse since the previous 2 weeks. Do you think
I will be able to last till I have a caesarian - the baby is due on the 17 July. What happens when the baby gets heavier? Is it possible to operate on the hernia when they do the epidural for the caesar.
Really worried in case it bursts as it is getting bigger. What do you suggest I do?

Dear Kermie
It is highly unlikely that it will burst. A hernia is a weak area in the muscle of the abdominal wall where a piece of intestine pushes out. The danger is that the intestine can twist or get stuck which can make you very sick. If you get severe tummyache, vomiting and tenderness over the area, please go to the emergency room immediately. If the weak area ( hole) is quite big, it won't easily cause problems and they will be able to rectify it after the ceasar - Normally they won't want to do the two operations in one as you may lose too much blood and it may take too long for the epidural.