Question
Posted by: Christy | 2005/06/06

hereditary nature of sexual deviancy

I am looking for information on sexual deviancy and whether it is in any way hereditary. My partner's father has a history of sexual deviancy, (with family members and later young boys). My boyfriend was himself considered a sexual deviant when at school and has confessed one incident during the last 3 years of similar behaviour. He is plagued by guilt and has no (conscious) intention of continuing with this behaviour. I fear though, that I (we) are being naive as to his control over his desires, and secondly, I fear passing on these qualities to our children. I would appreciate any information in this regard so that I am better equipped to make an informed decision as to the future of our relationship.

The question is rather too broadly put, as there are so many forms of what you might be calling "sexual deviancy". There's not much evidence that sexual orientation is inherited or even greatly influenced by parents ( all homosexuals, for instance, are surely born to heterosexal parents, or at the most one bisexual parent.).
IF what you are referring to is homosexual behaviour, and with an element of paedophilia, at least in the case of his father, then experiences with early exposure to sexual activity, especially with adults, may have some influence on a child's later sexual behaviour. It's very fair for you to be concerned about your bf's possible sexual orientation and behaviour, but that is a very individual thing, and not to be answered on general theoretical gtrounds. Wouldn't it be better for the two of you to have a good frank person-to-person discussion about this and about your concerns, and maybe for him to see a good local shrink for an assessment and advice to him ?