Question
Posted by: concerned spouse | 2005/06/15

Hereditary Alzheimers?

My husband's gran had Alzheimers (from his father's side), and it has been confirmed that his father has Alzheimers. We have suspected this for a few years now, but it was confirmed by a specialist only recently. He has degenerated seriously over the past 6 months.

My husband is unusually forgetful, and he gets angry with me if I prompt him to be more attentive. Do I have any reason to be concerned that he might also be prone to early Alzheimers?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear concerned

Some forms of Alzheimers are strongly genetic and it is advisable that your husband be tested if the condition gets worse. But first discuss the symptoms with your doctor.

Regards, Maritha