Posted by: Alda | 2008/07/07

Dear Doc

I have been following the Herbalife diet for two weeks now, but have yet to see an improvement. I take the shake for breakfast and lunch, have a low-fat yoghurt and apples (2 a day) as a snack, as well as a late afternoon slice of wholewheat bread with peanut butter. For dinner I alternate 1 medium sized baked potato (no trimmings) with a tin of tuna, or a cup of mixed veggies and grilled chicken portion. Would following this eating pattern help me lose my excess wight. I am 31 years old, 1, 47m and weigh 72kgs. Thanks.

Dear Alda
The use of shakes to replace meals will only work for weightloss if each serving only contributes 2100 kJ to your daily energy intake. So check on the label of the Herbalife shake how many kJ a serving contains. You may find that adding exercise to your slimming regimen will help you to start losing weight. Use any aerobic exercise that you find comfortable (e.g. going for brisk walks) for at least 30 min per day to stimulate your metabolism. Your suggested eating pattern is reasonable and if the 2 meals replaced by shakes do not contribute more than 2 x 2100 kJ = 4200 kJ then you should start losing weight which would be good because your present BMI = 33,3 which is in the obese class. Set your goal to losing 10% of your present weight to start off with, thus 7 kg and then do things step by step.

Posted by: Leila | 2008/07/07

I tried this for months with no results. Have been on the TLC-Wellbeing Clinic diet for 6 weeks and have lost 15kg -boy it is wonderful and healthy - worth a try.

Reply to Leila