Question
Posted by: Please advise | 2005/12/05

Herbal remedies in pregnancy (To gynaedoc, and anyone else who can assist)

Dear Gynaedoc

Im currently 22 weeks pregnant, and suffer of very bad anxiety and depression at the moment. I would like to know, if there is anything I can take in order for me to feel more relaxed and at ease.

If you really are depressed, you should consult your doctor. There are antidepressants that can be safely used in pregnancy, and psychotherapy may also be an option.

2
Posted by: LN | 2005/12/05

Contrary to what people think, most natural medicines such as homeopathic (like Rescue) and even the old dutch medicines are registered with the MCC (Medicines Control Council). It can be identified by a registration number.
The MCC is the same regulatory body that registers prescription medicines- its criteria for registration is efficacy, safety and quality!!!
However, natural medicines work differently and hence cannot be "scrutinised" under the same conditions as western/chemical medications.

Safety and efficacy concerns are found in all medicine types... the trick is to find the balance and most appropriate agent for a particular person.

Reply to LN
Posted by: Purple | 2005/12/05

Remember that just because something is natural doesn't mean there are no side effects or that it won't harm your developing baby. Natural medicines are not regulated, which means that there effects have not been tested by scientific studies (which conform to various rules and must be repeatable - show the same result if repeated). Remember that dagga and tabacco are both natural products.

Having said all that, Rescue Remedy has been used by pregnant women (even given to newborns) for years and years without ill effect and is assumed to be safe in pregnancy.

It helps with anxiety and sleeplessness and shock.

Reply to Purple