Question
Posted by: RDK | 2004/11/19

Herbal Remedies for Morning Sickness - Is it safe?<br>

Hi All
A colleague at work gave me a bunch of lavender that I must steep in hot water overnight and sip on through the day. My morning sickness is a bit more under control than before and thus far I havent vomited since yesterday morning. I believe it's due to the Asic tablets I was advised to continue with, as well as the flat coke and bananas I was told to try.
I'm a bit wary of taking any herbal stuff since what I'm taking now seems to be helping. I've also been told to try cinnamon tea or to make tea with cardamom seeds or cloves. I dont want to offend her but like I said, I dont know how safe it is. Anyone tried some of these remedies.
Thanks!

Theoretcially, you should avoid cinnamon, though in small doses it is unlikely to cause harm.
Cardamon and cloves should not be a problem.

1
Posted by: Nuffing | 2004/11/19

In general moderate amounts of the soothing herbs and aromas are fine, just avoid the energising and stimulating ones... you don't want your uterus to be stimulated right now... closer to labour yes, but not yet.

So herbs that are good at promoting cleansing and detoxifying are not good when pregnant.

Lavender, neroli, jasmine and camomile are fine. Just don't overdo any of them.
____________
First, it is important to note that many essential oils are safe and helpful during pregnancy and childbirth. Some are useful alternatives to drugs. Yet there are several that can be harmful, causing menstrual bleeding, contractions of the uterus and/or possible miscarriage. We have included, at the bottom of this page, a partial list of essential oils and herbs you will want to stay away from during pregnancy. As you move into labor, a few of these essential oils are suggested, as you will note below. Please be sure to check with your midwife, health care provider or doctor before using any herbs or essential oils during pregnancy or labor. Never ingest essential oils.
Some citrus oils (bergamot, grapefruit, orange and lemon) are fine to use during pregnancy. Their uplifting effects, as well as their ability to ease an unsettled stomach, cause them to be a soothing choice for aromatherapy. We suggest that you not use them directly on the skin, especially before exposure to direct sunlight as they can cause skin pigmentation. Simply add a drop or two to a diffuser filled with water, place nearby, breathe deeply and enjoy.
Soothing and healing properties to choose from:
Geranium, rosemary, lavender and chamomile have pain relieving and relaxant effects.
Lavender is very balancing and calming. It is also very good for headaches.
Geranium supports circulation and breathing, and boasts antidepressant effects.
Neroli is a very good anti-depressant, but it also helps with anxiety, fear and apprehension.
Rose is considered a very feminine oil and is used as a uterine tonic which supports labor.
Jasmine is uplifting and yet balancing.
Bergamot is calming and relaxing.
Ylang Ylang is a strong scent - be certain that you find it pleasing ahead of time. I happen to love it, but may not have during labor. If you do enjoy this scent, it is a good choice for helping to lower blood pressure. It can be soothing and relaxing.

Essential Oils to stay clear of during pregnancy:
Basil, clary sage, cedarwood, cypress, fennel, jasmine, juniper, lemongrass, marjoram, myrrh, origanum, parsley, peppermint, rose, rosemary and thyme
Herbs not to be taken during pregnancy may include:
• rue
• golden seal
• juniper
• autumn rocus
• mistletoe
• bearberry
• pennyroyal
• poke root
• southernwood
• wormwood
• mugwort
• tansy
• nutmeg
• cotton root
• male fern
• thuja
• calendula
• beth root
• feverfew
• sage

Reply to Nuffing