Question
Posted by: Ronel | 2004/11/18

Hepatitis / Jaundice?

I've searched this site for "yellow jaundice". All I could find was jaundice in newborns, is it possible for a young adult male to have jaundice? It is a co-worker, at first we thought he had tick fever, he complained bout backacke and vomiting & runny tummy, hot & cold fevers. He drank a lot of water and very sleepy, he can't keep his eyes open, so to speak. His parents (he still lives with his parents & works for them) didn't take him to see a doctor until today (±2 weeks). According to them he has hepatitis or jaundice, they're awaiting the blood tests. How contagious is this? He works in a butchery so therefor he works with meat and needless to say don't wear gloves. I have small children and am worried that I can somehow pass this onto them? Do I have a reason to be so worried?

Ronel, it sounds like he has hepatitis A – a very contagious disease if strict hygiene isn’t maintained (he shouldn’t be working with meat). It is seldom deadly, but it can make you very ill. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.