Question
Posted by: sally | 2006/04/12

hepatitis A can i pass it on and treatment

I have just been diagnosed with Hepatitis A. I am 27 years old and returned from Morroco 2 weeks ago. My mom had Hepatatis a when she was younger can i pass it onto her. Worried as she is a chronic kidney patient. How do i prevent passing it on. What is the recovery time and anything to avoid. Have a protein S deficeincy, blood clots to much a raised blood pressure will hepatatis affect these. Do i need to take time off work if contagious?

Many Thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

You need to discuss your condition with your GP.

Transmission

The transmission of the hepatitis A virus occurs through ingestion of water contaminated with infected faecal material.

Hygienic Measures

To avoid the propagation of the hepatitis A virus within a sick person's family general hygienic measures have to be taken e.g. washing hands (esp. when one has to prepare the meals).

The clinical symptoms last for 4 to 6 weeks.

2
Posted by: SHM | 2006/04/12

I had hepatitis A in grade 11. Was sick for three months! It's very contageous. I spread it to five children in my school and even my brother, whom I saw only after getting better. You could expect sever fatigue, nausea and even fomiting.
Oh, and you can't give blood for at least ten years after.
Good luck and hope you feel better. It's really a bad decease.

Reply to SHM
Posted by: Lee | 2006/04/12

Hi Sally I had hep A two years ago - takes 6 - 8 weeks to recover. You also turn yellow as you have jaundice with it. I was very ill the first two weeks - could hardly move my body was so sore. Didnt eat or drink much. It is very contagious so I stayed confined to my bedroom away fm the family. People you are exposed to can have an injection - called gamma globulin or something like that - reduces the risk but I think they have to have it in the first 2 -3 days of your symptoms.
I ate fruit and took a lot of Vit B 12 syrup which boosted me a lot

Reply to Lee