Question
Posted by: kabir | 2006/07/25

hemoglobin

how can i increase hemoglobin in my blood, it is less than 10

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Kabir

Firstly apology for waiting so long for me to get back to you!

Have you checked whether you are anaemic? Iron deficiency anaemia develops when there is inadequate iron for hemoglobin synthesis. A normal level of hemoglobin is maintained for as long as possible after the iron stores of the body are depleted. Causes could be blood loss (menstruation, gastrointestinal or other), increased demand during growth and pregnancy, decreased absorption or poor intake (obtained from iron containing vegetables like spinach, also in organ meats, egg yolk and raisins).
Clinical features easily diagnosed by you will present as brittle nails & hair, spoon shaped nails and atrophy of the papillae of the tongue.

Thus please ask your doctor to perform the relevant blood tests to ascertain the origin of your low hemoglobin – then is it only possible to treat it. If it is low iron based the best preparation is ferrous sulphate (200 mg thee time daily) which should bring about a rise of 1 g of haemoglobin per week – ask your doctor to prescribe the chelated format. You should continue treatment for at least six months

Take lots of care

Vanessa